Hey, parents. We know you’ve got your hands full, juggling the demands of working from home while helping your kiddos get the hang of e-learning models and keeping everyone from uttering the “b” word (bored). But here’s a fun project the whole family can get behind: painting the kids’ rooms.
Consider it part of the real-world curriculum. Like family studies meets art school and shop class with a twist of basic math for good measure. And because it involves their own rooms, the kids will be genuinely invested in the outcome. Yay! A win-win for everyone.
So, while the whole gang is ready, willing and available to pitch in, enjoy doing some home beautifying together. Here are a few tips to get started:
- Kids love to lend a hand and feel like they’re being helpful. Don’t exclude them from any part of this learning opportunity.
- Children as young as two years old can voice an opinion, so give them a say about their dream color scheme. Their bedroom is a space that can and should reflect their unique personalities and passions.
- While we strongly encourage creative expression, gently remind them that they (and you) will have to live with their choices in the years to come. Wisely select a color scheme that will transition with your child, rather than having to redo the room when their tastes change.
- If their favorite color is a bold, bright and likely to trigger energetic bursts of the zoomies, perhaps limit it to one accent wall (the one directly behind their head board) in a neutral room, or choose it for a pop of color in fun accents like throw pillows, a rug or hand-painted furniture.
- Shop for color on our website, where the virtual showroom is always open and shelves are fully stocked around the clock!
- Call us or use our website’s live chat feature to ask our experts about paints that have zero VOC and zero emissions as well as those certified asthma and allergy friendly.
- Ask our professional designers for ways to instantly up the cool factor for little creatives, including dry erase paint and chalkboard paint.
- It’s a snap to buy paint and accessories from us from the safety and comfort of home during this pandemic crisis. We’re available to take orders online and by phone, with your choice of free delivery or curbside pickup (social distancing practice).
TIME TO ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES
- As a family, watch some online tutorial videos on how to paint properly. Learning how to paint the right way is a skill they will have for the rest of their lives.
- Prepare your space by taping off areas that won’t be painted. Put down a layer of drop cloths. Make sure everyone is wearing old clothes or paint “costumes” like one of Dad’s ratty old t-shirts (better check with him first!) and that long hair is neatly tied back.
Our doors may be closed for now, but we are still open for business while practicing social distancing. Simply call in your paint order or shop online and choose free home delivery or curbside pickup from your nearest location. For details, visit www.JohnBoyleDecorating.com your local Benjamin Moore retailer.
- Show your child where to paint, then stand back and allow them to do it using their own technique. Yes, you might have to paint over that area a little bit later (shhh…), but for now, let go of perfection. This home improvement project is about team work, fun, and creating some lasting memories.